Driver Employment Requirements
Gurney Trucking Inc. has definitive policies concerning the hiring of drivers. In all cases these policies conform to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Regulations (FMCSR).
It is company policy to employ physically, mentally, and emotionally stable people who are courteous, and have the knowledge and ability to operate the type of equipment to which they may be assigned. Each driver will be evaluated individually for required experience.
Minimum qualifications are as follows:
- Every driver must have a valid Class A CDL and proper endorsements.
- The minimum age for a Gurney Trucking, Inc. driver is twenty-three (23) years of age, and more than two (1+) years of driving experience.
- All drivers are required to take a TQA (Trucker Quality Assurance) class and be TQA certified.
- Every driver shall submit to the Company a current listing (three years) of their traffic violations and accident record, from the Department of Motor Vehicles in the state of their driver's license. Drivers shall have no more than three moving violations during the three years previous to employment with Gurney Trucking, Inc.
- A driver shall have no serious traffic violations within the previous two years. Serious violations are defined as: (a) reckless driving, (b) driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs, (c) hit and run, leaving the scene of an accident, failure to report an accident, (d) no more than 3 speeding tickets in excess of 15 mph over the speed limit.
- Prior to active employment, every driver must take and successfully pass a physical examination in accordance with Department of Transportation regulations. They will be required to submit to the Company, for their files, a valid long form and certificate of that physical examination and retain a certificate of such examination during all times when on duty.
- Prior to employment, all applicants will submit to a pre-employment drug screen in accordance with FMCSR 391.103 or any revision thereof. An applicant who tests positive for any controlled substance will not be considered for employment.
- A driver must not be disqualified to drive a motor vehicle under any of the rules of Department of Transportation Regulation 391.15, or any revision thereof.
- Applicants will successfully complete a driver's road test in accordance with FMCSR 391.31, or any revision thereof.
- The applicant shall complete and furnish to the company an application for employment in accordance with Department of Transportation Regulation 391.21, or any revision thereof. Falsification of this document will result in immediate termination.
- The applicant must be physically qualified to safely perform all other physical activities associated with employment requirements.
- The applicant shall be neat in appearance and will be judged by mechanical ability, common sense, manners, courtesy and legible writing.
- Records of Duty Status (Logs) will be correct and neat in form and manner. Falsification of logs will not be tolerated or accepted. All logs will be prepared in accordance with Federal and State Regulations as well as Company policy set forth by safety.
The following skills and knowledge will be required of all active Gurney Trucking, Inc. drivers:
- Ability to read and speak the English language well enough to converse with the general public, to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records.
- Skills by reason of experience, training, or both, to safely operate the type of vehicle to which they may be assigned.
- Knowledge by reason of experience, training, or both, to determine whether the cargo they transport has been properly loaded, distributed, and secured in or on the vehicle they drive.
- Familiarity with methods and procedures for securing cargo in or on the motor vehicle they drive.